Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Nine


Today is September 9th, 2009. This happens one time a year, and won't happen again until one year, one month, and one day from now. It it 9-9-09. This is a cause for celebration. In response, I took a Sharpie to a shirt (see why this matters later in the post). 9-9-09. Incredible.

The photo you see above is a homage, a nostalgic metaphor. Check it out: http://emliv.blogspot.com/2008/09/in-remembrance.html. You might see a resemblance. That was one year ago on September 11th. I was not even planning this, but I was thinking about what I should do for 9-9-09 and I thought, "Hey! I should draw a big ol' '9' on a shirt and wear all white! Oh and it could be orange because I have an orange bandanna and orange shades!" Then I thought about it: "Haven't I done this before?" I went to the blog archives and discovered, why yes, I had, almost exactly one year ago. Strange? September draws similar thoughts, I suppose.

Moving on.

Here's a topic that has been brought to my attention: sleeping habits. In high school, school started at 8 for everybody. Most of the time, school started at 7 for me because of zero period. This is early folks. I found out the hard way that I am definitely not a morning person as every year there would be one class (at least) that would be an absolute nightmare as far as falling asleep in class would go. To all my teachers whose class I had a very difficult time staying awake in: I am greatly sorry and it wasn't your fault. The lack of sleep caught up to at the same time every day and it just happened to be during your class. Honestly, falling asleep in a class is a pretty intense sign of disrespect, but the problem is that it is almost almost unintentional. Can you really control when sleep fatigue slaps you in the face inducing you to fall face first on the desk in a slumber? All that said, college has treated me with a much better schedule. My earliest class is at 10:30 which often times serves for proper rested sleep. I'm not trying to brag, I'm just saying this kind of schedule serves my chemical makeup much better than the lovely 7 am class time of high school. For this reason, I am grateful. I have one concern though. What will begin to happen is the nights will get later and later because I know I can sleep later. Sleep fatigue will strike again.

Another point of interest. Before I left, a few buddies and myself ventured into the hills of Simi Valley into what is rumored to be the caves Charles Manson and his followers huddled in. I decided to bring my video camera. The experience was unbelievable. I hadn't touched the footage until yesterday. Feast your eyes, video stellars.


The Manson Caves - An Exploration from Morgan Lott on Vimeo.




IRRELEVANT: Labor Day.

For those of you who know me, you know I "make" a lot of t-shirts. After wasting many t-shirts with Sharpie, I came up with this revolutionary idea to write on the white t-shirts with washable markers, that way I can reuse and reuse and reuse the same t-shirt over again. But hey, guess what I forgot when I came to Biola? Yes, washable markers. So, instead of making myself a Labor Day 2009 t-shirt, I am wearing my Hillside Middle School Star Student t-shirt. Find the comparison.

Other than that, Labor Day will be pretty much just the way it was created to be. "Traditionally, Labor Day is celebrated by most Americans as the symbolic end of the summer. The holiday is often regarded as a day of rest and parades." Thank you wikipedia. Quotes from wikipedia are always spot on, yes? So with that, summer is officially over. School is up and running, the fun and games are dwindling, and it is Labor Day: it's official.

1 comment:

  1. i had memories of blair witch project.
    was that explosions in the sky?

    ReplyDelete