Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Meaning




I do not know what my theme was today. I do not know why I chose the clothing I chose to wear. I do not know why I did not have an answer for the wonderful people asking what the theme was today. Mr. Tomas Capaldi said I looked like a strong office worker who squeezes a forearm trainer while speaking to clients. Ms. Natalia Maldonado said I looked like a "beach Mormon." I do not know how I feel about either of these. However, my opinion is irrelevant as I did not have a correction to define what exactly I was.

Today, I created a tie knot. I do not know what to name it. It is right past a full windsor, with a few extra twists. I don't know if I am a fan though. It is kind of crooked and, let's just say, not normal. That was that.





So recently, it was brought my attention that the word "emliv--like the one in this blog, the one for my deviantart site, the one for my graphic design company, and the like--is mighty confusing and appears to just be a random word with no meaning. This is not true. Ladies and gentlemen, emliv is my initials. I could almost hear you gasp. You might be asking "But wait! Your name is Morgan Lott! I might not know your middle name, but that is besides the point: your 'initials' have FIVE letters!" Ladies and gentlemen, I now present to you:

Edward Morgan Lott IV

This is my name. Yes, it is. And if you know me, and you think it would be funny to call me "Edward," 1: I will not acknowledge you as I will not know you are trying to speak to me and 2: really? Elementary school students get a kick out of this kind of stuff, do you really want to be like them?

So here is the story of my name. First, "Morgan" means "By the Sea" and, ironically, I was born in San Luis Obispo while my parents were on vacation. You can't get much closer to the sea than San Luis Obispo. This is rather irrelevant actually. Also, no "Edward Morgan Lott" has gone by anything associated with Edward. My great-grandfather, Edward Morgan Lott Sr., went by Morgan. My grandfather, Edward Morgan Lott Jr., went by Ted. My father, Edward Morgan Lott III, goes by Ned. And I, Edward Morgan Lott IV, go by Morgan. Strange? I'd say so. It makes a good story too. Another thing, many people exclaim to me (not so much anymore, more elementary school) that "Morgan" is a girl's name. They are wrong. "Morgan" is a unisex name. I did some research:



I must admit, these graphs do not have the same y interval because since the 1970's, the name "Morgan" for women has skyrocketed beyond belief, so the peaks are not at the same place. HOWEVER, look to the right of the graph, beginning about halfway. What do you notice? The male side has results, while the female has nothing, nada, zippo. Beginning around the 1970's, someone decided to completely change the trend (by the way, this is impressive. It impacted a unisex name forever) and as a result, "Morgan" is labeled as a girls name. But check out 1880 to 1970! Domination.



Lastly, I have a new film out. The project was animation. Ms. D prompted the stop animation. I did not suffice to the stop animation. So my buddy Mr. Beau Akers and I did something different. In a way it is stop animation, but not really. I think it turned out quite excellent. A few things: the film is very experiemental. There is a plot, as well as a lesson learned, as well as character development, problem, climax, solution: all in a minute fourteen. Also, be on the lookout for hidden symbolism. I planned at least 2 different instances. Please watch and please enjoy.



Pocket: A Short from Morgan Lott on Vimeo.





Pocket: A Short (2009) USA/1:14 min

Summary: An animation. Coming from the pocket, freedom is desire, but he must wait for fraying.

Filmmakers:

Morgan Lott - Director, Editor, Actor
Beau Akers - Animator, Voice Over Actor

Cast:

Morgan Lott
Beau Akers


2 comments:

  1. I love this entry! The animation is pretty epic. I know Beau did the animating, but do you know what he used? It wasn't Flash, was it?

    And awesome research on the name, Eddie. jk. I much prefer Morgan, or the occasional Triple D (on PCP). Where did you get the data?

    Keep up the awesome work! Can't wait for the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the animation was done in Final Cut Pro. I was the only one who worked with the computer.

    I researched online, but I already knew some of the information already.

    ReplyDelete