Wednesday, February 25, 2009

That's Captain to you


Today I was Captain Morgan if you will. Here's the story. For Valentine's Day, I was asked to be the MC, or Captain Stubing of the Love Boat. So this is what I wore. Yes it is handmade. I found the shirt at goodwill and then the rest was constructed by my lovely mother who found the buttons and the patches, etc. I think it turned out pretty good. I was going to wear it the week after the dinner, but it was way to cold out and the shirt requires so undershirt. Imagine that! Anyway, that's the story. I don't have much to report on other than I, like always, have a million and a half things going on all at the same time.

Here's something significant that happened recently:


Winter Camp: Hume Lake: Decisions '09. Pretty awesome, I'm definitely not going to lie about that. We get up there way before anybody else. It's almost deserted, nobody anywhere. Strange? I think we were just early. The guys immediately went up to the cabin and began construction on the probably the highlight of a lot of peoples trip. We had stairs outside our cabin, but with snow and ice packed on, and a boogie board provided by Mr. Joel Waddell, it makes for a pretty sweet ride. This turned into quite the project and we continued to get more and more extreme, getting steeper and steeper and faster and faster. I'd have to say my favorite ride down the course was a conjoined effort by me and Mr. Travis Edwards as we launched off the burn we worked hard to make. Wasted effort, but for a good time.

We also proceeded to the cabin above us on bad terms without doing anything whatsoever. They started throwing snowballs at us and didn't stop for quite some time. I'm going to go into much detail, but overall, it almost ended with a fight and some name calling. They also turned into a running joke. Oh, teenagers.

I made an observance while up at Hume. Going into it, I figured it would be much more laid back than summer camp, as summer camp is absolutely insane. I figured snow would put a damper on the energy of the campers. Oh, teenagers, you surprise me once again. First night at chapel, one church decided to dress up, I'd say, kinda crazily. For instance, one dude dressed as a banana-munching gorilla who proceeded to induce Simón to a bloodcurdling scream. It was quite entertaining. What I figured out though is that winter camp is most people's summer camp. A whole lot of campers there last weekend do not go to summer camp; boy are they missing out. It makes sense though, and it explains their craziness.

Broom hockey was pretty sweet. I was on a team named "Chapped," named after our youthful youth group. It consisted of me (Morgan Lott), Kyle Dietz (traded for), Mike Spafford (traded for), TJ Tolliver, Scott Weir, Travis Edwards, and Matt Fennell. We won one round and it pumped us up, but then we proceeded to get slaughtered by a team who knew exactly what they were doing. The ladies on the other hand owned. They proceeded to win the championship and get their names engraved on the Kearth Cup! Absolutely insane. At the championship game, Sean Cook and I (Morgan Lott) mustered up a sick beat on the boards. It was magical.

Shicuartro. I don't really know the story cause I was asleep when the name was created. But this winter camp has become the Shicuatro year, just like summer camp became known as the Schindler's List year. Ask one of the guys who went to explain Shicuatro to you, becuase I don't know the whole story.

One night at dinner, this kid named Garrett (here's a shout out) did a little sketch called "Little Tortilla Boy" by comedian Pablo Francisco and it was wonderful. Immediately after, I gave him one of those hand-shake-hug deals and said "that was sick, man!" I felt accomplished. The last day we were at Hume, I did his announcer voice perfect. I felt accomplished then, as well.

Mike Cirricione wanted a shout out so here it is.

Lastly, I became better friends with a bunch of people. It was sweet. Mostly on the bus rides, even though it was deathly hot and nastily tiring, it was fun to roam and talk to most everybody.

I feel like I'm missing a lot, let me know if I am, and I'll added in. It's all about the memories, so if something was memorable, it should be in here.

Now for what matters:

Hume has a tendency to induce intense spirituality. You are away from the world, temptation, Internet, you name it, and you get to focus on our Creator. Josh Riebock gave the us the Word, constantly repeating a passage from 1st Kings 18:21.

"Elijah came near to all the people and said, "How long will you hesitate between two opinions? If the LORD is God, follow Him; but if Baal, follow him." But the people did not answer him a word."

The theme of the weekend was Decisions '09. You either are a Christian or not, nothing in between. Even though I wasn't nailed emotionally this weekend, I did learn that Christians really are looked down upon. It is very easy to say you are a Christian, it is a very versatile and vague description (i.e. on Myspace, under religion, it has all specific religions then it had "Christian/other"). Countless number of people declare themselves Christians when they do not lead lives reflecting their "beliefs." This is why hypocrisy and Christianity are so closely related this day in age. This needs to change. Josh challenged us to be one or the other, a Christian or not, but DO NOT sit in the middle. Pick and side and do not walk the fence.



I hope you enjoyed yourself. Remember, let me know what you think/if I missed anything, etc.

Also, I uploaded a new version of "The Water's Always Running" so you MUST watch it for improved viewing.

http://vimeo.com/3342174

No comments:

Post a Comment