Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Breaking


Alright people. I don't know about you, but I am on summer break. The reason I say this is because the readers of this blog, you being one of them, may or not be on summer break. Normally, students in school, as well as teachers, have a "summer break," but most of you working folk do not have a summer break. I guess it is reality. Do you miss a "summer break." I'll make this very general: it, as far as seasons go, is summer. Happy? I know I am.



Thus far, summer has been great.

One: no summer homework. Now, I am not going to boast, but because of AP and honors classes, I have had the "privilege" of summer homework for the following school year. Due to the recent graduation, I will not be enrolled in any more AP classes, therefore, I have no summer homework. This is exciting.

Two: my cousin Matt Hiett got married to Sheri Warkentin, now Hiett. I had the privilege of being a groomsman and it was quite the experience, a good time at that. It's awesome to have a new cousin and I'm super excited to see them grow old together!

Three: in two weeks, I am going to be playing drums in a band with my cousins Micah Hiett and newly-married Matt Hiett, as well as Dustin Laemmlen and Kailee Rodenbeck. We are going to be playing for Heartland Christian Camps for a group Jr. Highers and a week of High Schoolers. I am definitely pumped up for this because...it's a camp band! Really!? Playing for high school will definitely be kind of surreal because, well, I will be playing for my peers. Here's the thing: this is where I get kind of confused: when you think of "band," what do you think of? "Concert" perhaps? You see, with a worship band, the music and what is going on on stage should not be distracting. However, music is a whole lot of fun to play and it is a whole lot of fun to show that excitement physically. There is an obvious fine line here, but determining where that fine line is the trick. I do not want to be a distraction to those worshiping our God.

Four: I'm watching Sportscenter and typing simultaneously, this never happens, not that I can't multitask, it's that I never watch television.

Five: I am currently "making" a tank top. Here is the story: for winter drumline, part of our uniform consisted of a gray long sleeve shirt. This was fine for the show (fit quite nicely) but I had two objections: for one, it was a long sleeve shirt, I do not wear long sleeve shirts, especially if they do not have wicked sweet design. For the deuce, on the wrist section of the sleeves, purple "wrist straps," if you will, donned the arm warmers. This is not publicly acceptable so I took the executive decision to construct a tank top. I'm in the process, sewing is not an easy task.


So we'll have to see. Today was supposed to be the day of the "Tutu's challenge." Mr. Scott Weir and Mr. Joel Waddell were to be on a team and Mr. Kyle Dietz and myself were to be on a team in an attempt in downing 7 pounds of shave ice within a time limit.



I'll post more later.....

If I don't....please do not be angry.



Alright, I just got home from the highly anticipated "Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen." First off, here are some reviews from Rottentomatoes.com:

"Revenge of the Fallen is more like listening to rocks in a clothes dryer for 2 1/2 hours."

"It’s like watching a blender for two hours while someone shouts at you. And then the last half an hour is the same, except it’s more like having your head strapped to a washing machine while you watch a blender and someone shouts at you."

"If you want to save yourself the ticket price, go into the kitchen, cue up a male choir singing the music of hell, and get a kid to start banging pots and pans together. Then close your eyes and use your imagination. " - Roger Ebert

That's the scoop and these guys pretty much scooped perfect ice cream. Transformers, aside from the effects and certain sequences, was, in my opinion, WAY overrated. You see, the writers of Transformers took it overboard in forms of "funny." They thought not one but multiple scrotum jokes, obsessive unneeded profanities by the least likely, and unnecessary sexual and drug references would make the movie "funny" and liked by many. And, haha, boy they were right, the theater was laughing up a storm. This makes me sad. I can think of multiple instances in where I laughed out loud because of the absurdity of a situation, especially those that had NOTHING to do with the plot. Now, don't get me wrong, the special effects of Transformers 2 were astounding. Very very very impressive. With that, some of the fight sequences were astounding in their complexity and "awesomeness." Also, even though many people do not like Michael Bay, I do enjoy the certain grunge, sketchy look he makes his film, a turnoff for many people. I think I'm pretty much finished with this slam of a review. I will admit though, Transformers was made brilliantly. Roger Moore of the Orlando Sentinel has the final word:

"Is it the worst movie of the summer? Possibly. Will everybody see it? Probably."

Brilliant.

2 comments:

  1. I found that there was an overload in the special effects department, by the time the last battle was being fought I felt like I had seen it before, and was unimpressed when something transforming for the hundredth time. Plus most of the action sequences where filmed with very tight angles, and given the massive scope this film was suppose to bring me, I ended up lost and confused among all the metal and noise that I grew more unimpressed because it seemed that what they were showing me was not all important. The story was trash, and the random slow-mo on Megan Fox's bouncing boobs insulted me as a viewer, like they were trying to distract me from the horrible plot and the unfunny humor. Mr. LaBoufe, or whatever his name is, could be a good actor, but he takes mediocre roles when he should be taking more original characters. As for Megan Fox, she'll resort to playboy soon. Michael Bay should take some tips from Christopher Nolan, less is more, and you certainly have enough money to spend on less computers. Don't waist your money people, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved the movie, ya some parts were really unnecessary, but giant robots are always cool

    ReplyDelete