Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fools

{yes, my head is jacked up in the picture. I purposely did that foolishly}
First priority: watch--





Second priority: read--

So last night I began thinking. April Fools Day is a pretty big deal so I wanted to make it good. I had no idea what I was going to do....what pants should I wear? What should I wear on my head? Many questions, some left unanswered. I had an idea though, what the shirt would say. "FEELING FOOLISH? ASK ME FOR MY CARD!" Originally, I was going to pose as the "April Fool" and hand out my business card. It wasn't until 10 something that it hit me: "Audition for the April Fool!" It blew up from there. I made 48 cards containing the following information:

WANT TO BE THE APRIL FOOL?

Auditions: 4:30 to 6 pm
999 Enchanted Way, Simi Valley, Ca, 93065

Here was the plan. I was going to hand out these cards to people and urge them to show up at 4:30 for auditions and then not show up myself, so everybody is just waiting around for nothing. I get to school, and then by second period, I figured I'd better have a story. Throughout the day, the story got better; read on:

"This year, April Fools Day is on a Wednesday. This means that next year, April Fools Day will fall on a Thursday which means school will start an hour later, at 9:00 am. Before school that day, there will be a parade throughout town and the part you will be auditioning for, the April Fool, will be hoisted atop a float in all your glory."

Many questions were asked:

  • "999 Enchanted Way? That's not a real place." "Have you heard of the 19 and under clubs? That is where it is"
  • "Are you the April Fool this year?" "No."
  • "Are you getting paid?" "I get paid commission."
  • "Is this real?" "Of course it is real! I will be there!"
  • "How did you get this job?" (This was a toughie, I still don't have a real answer) "I was contacted online." "How did they find you?" "They saw how I dressed and figured I could get the word out!"
  • "Who hired you?" (I avoided answering this question. Mr. Jared Taylor called me out on it) "I was given 16 cards and I made massive amounts of copies!"
  • the list goes on...
As the day went on, I learned what people would believe and what they didn't. Some people knew immediately it was a massive April Fools joke. In 3rd period stats, we debated the event. They didn't believe me and asked me all sorts of tough questions. Mr. Jerame Maas told me that I was part of the trick, that I was being fooled into doing this endorsement. I told me to write in my blog that he said that, that I was just another part of a bigger scheme my friend's were putting on. He was wrong. In 3rd period stats, I made 72 more copies of the cards. This lasted until most of the way through lunch (lunch: I walked around the campus and people were yelling at me all sorts, asking for my card. I handed out all I had to a whole lot of people. My favorite people: the people who show off to their friends by calling in a mocking voice "hey, yellow shirt! Can I have a card?! as they laugh to their friends. I immediately run over to them, get right in the middle of the group and hand out cards, telling them to audition for the April Fool. I love the confused looks on the initial yeller's face, and as I walk away, the friends snicker at the kid who yelled at me in the first place.) By the end of the day, I had given out 190, yes 190, cards. I told myself I would consider my prank a success if one person showed up. I would feel accomplished. Just one person, out of 190.

It was time. I called up by buddy Mr. Nate Sutton and asked if he could come and help me film the event. Mr. Scott Weir also came, totally by accident, perchance. I had wanted to arrive at the location at least 15 minutes before so I would be set up and ready for the auditioners. I did not pick up Mr. Nate Sutton until 3 minutes before 4:30. My bad. We schooled through Simi, only to arrive 5 minutes late to the event I had planned. Turns out nobody was there. I was expecting this. I just wanted one person to show up. That would make my life. After about 20 minutes, Mr. Scott Weir gets a text message from Mr. TJ Tolliver. His inquiry resulted in the new surname of "Guinea Pig." Mr. Tolliver was asking about the event and his wish to come. He would have been the one, the one to make the event worth it. He never showed up. I bet William Matthews got him (reference to this video). So the whole thing was a bust. 190 cards given out, 0 people giving in. It was all worth it though, no doubt in my mind. I will never forget April Fools Day 2009, and I have a video to help me through my short term memory loss.





On the other side, many people had birthdays today. I know of at least 4, weird? Ms. Natalia Maldonado had a bday today and she had the pleasure of pranking Mrs. Lev with the rest of Mr. Lev's yearbook class. I was definitely an experience.



2 comments:

  1. Morgan! im sorry man, i really should've come i feel bad now... but seriously that is pretty intense, and i feel honored(i guess? i dont know what other emotion it could be) to be featured as the "guinea pig". but yes, turns out your joke was on you. and i dont know how you ever thought anyone was going to believe it was real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TJ, i knew people wouldn't think it was real, but i knew people would be curious. I talked to a bunch of people who almost came.

    ReplyDelete