Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Six Years




This is one of those Wednesday's where words do not come easy. Little inspiration, little activity, little. So because of this, the makeup of this post is lacking. The makeup, like the stuff girls wear (which is a whole nother conversation in itself).

I was talking to Mr. Scott Weir about this yesterday. It's the realization that there is SO SO MUCH TO DO, but because there is SO SO MUCH TO DO, it causes a sense of overwhelmization and there is NOTHING to do, because you can't fathom the intensity of the situation; denial. There are thousands of things to do, but when I sit here and think of something to do RIGHT NOW, I can't think of anything. This concept may make no sense to you, that's okay. It doesn't make sense to me either.

 Last week was nationball, this maddening game of dodgeball that the entire school participates in. The teams are made up of the entire dorms, so it's like a game of 500 vs 400. Pretty wild, pretty wild indeed. This year was FANTASTIC because not only did our team (OCC - Off Campus Community) completely DOMINATE the playing field and win the championship, but the playlist was OFF DA CHAIN. There was dance dance dancing and then some. It took 45 minutes for the refs to get everybody into the stands because everybody was feeling the BEATZ HARD, dance dance dancing on the basketball court. And there was, as someone esle described it, a "sweat cloud" hovering in the gym. It was at least 400 degrees in there, it was like walking into a scorching, 100% humid sauna. It was great, it was fun, it was worth every second. Here's a video that was put together by our school newspaper, The Chimes:

Nationball 2012 (HD) from Chimes Multimedia on Vimeo.

Fantastic. It's simple.


There's not much else going on. The Bakery is staying hot. It was 107-108 in our living room the other day. 98 in the coolest part of the house and it felt "cool." Walked into the living room and it was like an oven, so it HAD to be at least 107. Unreal.

Been in talks with a bunch of projects and it's getting pretty intense. You know the point where you battle between what you want to do and what you need to do? There are not enough hours in a day. But we've been given 24 so there's no need complaining about it.

Here's an aside.

It's come up a number of times in the last week or so, and after something thinking, I have figured out that I have been dressing up on Wednesdays for SIX YEARS going on SEVEN. That's spot-on incredible.

For those who have never heard the story:


I went to Royal High School in Simi Valley, CA. During my sophomore year, 2007, I realized all the dudes at the school looked the same: skinny jeans, classic vans, and a baseball cap. Everyone. So, a group of us started up Collared Shirt Wednesday: every Wednesday we were going to wear collared shirts, throw a little spin on the horribly-monotonousssssssss Royal High School fashion sense. There a was a group of us, then a few of us, then a couple of us, and then just me. And I kept doing it. Collared Shirt Wednesday. I started adding ties. I started color-coordinating. I started getting funky. Alone.

Senior year comes along and this blog is born for a simple reason: to remember senior year. I started taking a picture of myself on the Wednesday to document that week and then I wrote about the week. It was simple. And it caught on. People started reading, people started enjoying. And here we are today. Six years later. Still dressing up, still taking the pictures.

High school pictures: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.34414107753.57636.714162753&type=3

College pictures: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.143439557753.137074.714162753&type=3


And it's funny, because on one hand, it's like "woah, this dude takes a whole lot of pictures of himself and he's full of himself" but on the other hand, it's like "woah, this dude takes a whole lot of pictures of himself but it's documenting life as it hits." I can TOTALLY see how this blog can come across as pretentious and large-headed. I hope it doesn't. One of my favorite aspects of this blog is the documentation, documenting specific events in my life, coded by a picture to give a permanent connection to these events. Returning to these blog posts is an event in itself, SO MANY MEMORIES embedded that I/we would NEVER be able to remember just off the top of our heads.

You're entitled to your own opinion.



So that's the end of this post. Funny. It turned into more than "This is one of those Wednesday's where words do not come easy." I love it when that happens. And I love that when that happens, it's documented with a picture and a story.


No comments:

Post a Comment