Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Dress it up


Take a look at the picture above. What do you notice? You might notice nothing. Mr. Scott Gamelson noticed something though: "What? That's not fancy enough for a Wednesday." It's not. Or is it? What's fancy? What's dressing up? This is the topic of conversation.

"Dressing up" is an interesting action. When do we dress up? Well, for me, I dress up every Wednesday and whenever I feel like it's appropriate, which, honestly, is most situations. I personally enjoy dressing up, I enjoy a suit and tie, I enjoy getting fancy. Other people don't. Other people do not enjoy dressing up, enjoy a t-shirt and sweats, and don't ever want to get fancy. There's nothing wrong with this, I enjoy a t-shirt and sweats an incredible amount, but there's something beautiful about the act of dressing up because of the situation deserving the respect. For example, back in the day (I think), when people went out for a social event, when people went to town for the evening, they took the time to prepare themselves for a nice time. They dressed to the occasion and treated social events with importance.  It might just be me, but it's not quite like that anymore.  In general, it doesn't seem like people care about social interaction the way they used to.  I feel like, especially for gentleman, the art of dressing up is taking a hike in the backwards direction. I can't tell you how many times guys have asked me if I could tie their tie for the them. I feel embarrassed for them.  It's time to learn how to tie ties, gentleman. Speaking of tying ties, the "real" bow tie is almost completely extinct. Well, maybe. The trend of the "hipster" is toying with the idea of getting "into" bow ties again.  I guess we'll see what happens.

All this to say, I enjoy dressing up and I feel like our generation is on the downhill, dressing up isn't near as important and perhaps fun as it used to be. And just a disclaimer, everything written on this blog is opinion written in the moment. It's not meant to offend, it's not meant to prove, it's merely meant to express my random thoughts with a virtual audience.

And all THAT to say, I dressed "down" on purpose today, to speak to this issue. I guess that's a whole nother issue entirely: getting used to me dressing up on Wednesdays. There's an expectation that I dress up every Wednesday, an expectation that in no way shape or form NEEDS to happen, it just has happened, well, for the last 3+ years. And it's been a great 3+ years.




So, two Thursday's ago, the 29th of September, I was given the opportunity to film and photograph the madness we know as SWAGTACULAR. Hungry Mind Entertainment partnered up with House of Blues to throw this party full of swag and boy, was it an experience. I'm not going to get to detailed, but I learned a ton about myself that night, in all sorts of different ways, and in the end, it was well worth it and a spectacular learning experience.  As I was working on the video, I was absolutely amazed to see my Hume Lake influence show up. I can honestly attribute most, if not all, my video editing skills to Hume Lake Christian Camps and the immense amount of practice I was blessed with during the summer of 2010.  Seriously. Every stylistic decision that was made throughout this video somehow stemmed from something I learned and tried a Hume two summers ago. It got me PUMPED and I am so so grateful for that summer two short years ago.  Here's the video, for your enjoyment:


SWAGTACULAR // The Chaos from Morgan Lott on Vimeo.






Next ||



Four months ago, my roommate Mr. Joel Limbauan began training for a half-marathon. As far as I know, there was no major major cause for this, it was simple curiosity, perseverance, and drive.  Four months later, last Sunday rolled around, and entire apartment: Mr. Joel Limbuan, Mr. Ben Jacuk, Mr. Michael Warnecke, and myself, took off in the wee hours of the morning to go support our friend and housemate.  Here is the videographic proof:




WHAT. A. DAY! Joel's the man, the straight up man. Telling yourself you want to run a half-marathon and then actually doing it? That's WILD.








And that, my friends, is the end. I hope you enjoyed it. If not, it's just Wednesday.



Drink a fruit smoothie relatively soon. Try something you've never tried before.

No comments:

Post a Comment