Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Carpe Diem



It's been quite the week!  It's difficult to put it into words, summaries are endless, these are just text-s on a screen. I've got to warn you, it's Torrey week here at Biola University, which means the schedule is completely gnarled up, meaning my schedule is a mess, meaning this blog post will more than likely be shorter than the norm.  It's okay, it was meant to be.

The funny thing about this week is the stories that went down are not meant for this blog.  Normally, and most always, I share with you stories, normally, and most always, in depth. These shared stories are meant to be public, i.e. you, can see, read, laugh, and ponder.  The stories from this last week are on a more personal level and involve other people that may or may not want their stories posted on this here blog. That sentence makes this week sound SUPER INTENSE, I'll leave that up to you to make assumptions. The funny thing about blogs is it feels like a journal, scratch that, it IS a journal; I'm sitting here alone on my couch, writing to myself about my experiences, my thoughts, my dreams. No one is here looking over my shoulder, no one is here influencing what I write. So, naturally, anything and everything is fair game... well, it WAS. After getting into a number of sticky situations, I've learned that this blog is actually read by actual people and it is possible to offend, misinterpret, exaggerate, enunciate any and every word that I write.


So, that said, I'm going to describe the week in careful vagueness:

Last Wednesday: good conversation, learned some things.
Friday: GREAT, tried new things, enjoyed company, learned about each other, airplanes.
Saturday: Family, soccer, Trop 205 Restaurant style
Monday: Encouragement.
Tuesday: Change of plans. We'll see what happens.


Boom boom bam. There it is, that was the week in all it's vague glory, but in its ambiguity, it honestly was an INCREDIBLE week.  Learned so many new things, had so many solid conversations, and went on a limb, took a risk, got adventurous, and Friday happened, for which I am very grateful.  Mistakes were made, lessons were learned. Seems like the only way to learn things these days is to mess up in the process.


I talked to a friend of mine earlier this week about life experiences. For some reason, I was intrigued by the fact that memories are only contained within time. You went to the "best concert of your life," after the end of the concert, it's over, forever. There is no returning to the concert no matter how incredible it was. "Man, last night was so fun! I wish I never had to go to sleep!" Last night was last night and it will always be "last night." Unfortunately, you can never experience "last night" again. Luckily, through the joy of memory, we can remember details and, in a sense, "relive" the situation. But still, it went down in history and stays in history. So, for this reason, the term "carpe diem" applies consistently. Make EVERY DAY unique, individual; make it stand out amongst the rest of history. You're never going to be able to return to these moments, no matter how great they are, and if you can recognize this fact, you can treat every moment as a once in a lifetime opportunity.


So with that, LIVE IT UP today. Always be looking for that one moment that goes down in history as TODAY. Yesterday, Ms. Kylie Tyndall asked me what my "favorite part about today" was. I didn't have a good answer.

Have a good answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment