Thursday, June 16, 2011

Skip-skip

WOAH folks! Wednesday came and gone. Wednesday came and gone without a blog post. This is not the first time it's happened. It's still "not good" though.

BUT, here's why. Yesterday (and the day before), I spend the day(s) at the Paramount Studio Lot in Hollywood, prepping and working at the Annual Billabong Design For Humanity event. I'll tell you about it, but I need you do something for me first. Mawwiage Films (mawwiagefilms.com) has just engulfed the world of Twitter, so please follow us! You won't regret it, not one bit.



Back to the story.  One of my professors, Mr. Daniel Chang, presented his students with an opportunity to volunteer at the Billabong event, so naturally, I snatched up the chance.  What followed was long long hours of unpacking, preparing, arranging, rearranging, measuring, and hanging 70+ pieces of art in a makeshift gallery space.  It was a good time, a mighty good time.  And let me tell you, figuring out the order to place the diverse art on the walls was one of the most complicated things I've ever been a part of.  Figuring value, significance, medium, and flow into the precise placement of every piece of art is no easy task.  All that to say, we eventually got the Art Auction ready for auctioning.  We were ready to roll.

The event itself on Wednesday went rather smoothly. I, along with Ms. Vanessa Watts, worked with Mr. Morgan Maassen to help promote and sell his photography.  Check out his work at http://www.morganmaassen.com.  I enjoyed working in this small space, the people watching was incredible.  If you want specifics, ask me in person.  I have one good story though.  Mr. Morgan Maassen is a 20 year old male.  Mr. Morgan Lott is a 20 year old male.  Mr. Morgan Maassen was in and out, mostly out, of his gallery while Mr. Morgan Lott was always in his gallery.  A number of people walked up to Mr. Morgan Lott and asked "Hi, are you Morgan?" to which I would normally answer "Yes."  This situation, however, was different.  I could not answer "Yes" no matter how much I wanted to.  This was an interested dealing with honesty.  Is it honest to say "Yes, I am Morgan?" Well, I am telling the truth, I am indeed Morgan, but am I THE Morgan they're looking for? No. I would be deceiving them. DISHONESTY.  Is it honest to say "No, I am not Morgan?" Well, I am lying, I am indeed Morgan, but am  I THE Morgan they're looking for? No. I would be telling the truth.  DISHONESTY.  All that to say, I got a kick out of it.  Through the fashion show, the art auction, Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, and approximately 4000 people attending, the 2011 Design For Humanity was a ball.

And then it was time to clean up.  After packaging up the art that was sold, packaging up the art that was not sold (I love how the complexity of such a task can be so easily stated in a simple sentence), it was 3 AM.  And what happens at 3 AM? Well, you head to Denny's.  We enjoyed a late night meal together to finish out the night.  And then, a typical "Morgan Lott Moment." On the way out, I somehow missed the freeway entrance, I drove right passed it. So I kept driving. All of a sudden, I was in residential area, and I cleverly thought "I don't think I'm going the right way." I didn't assume I had missed the freeway, I assumed I had went the wrong way in the first place.  So, I started driving, I started exploring.  After about 15 minutes, I realized I was in what I think was Thai Town.  It was at this point that this driving around looking for the freeway was not fun and games anymore.  Frustration began to set in.  Luckily, somehow, by the Grace of God, I found the 101-N minutes later and set on my merry way home.  I proceeded to write "I just added "Getting lost, alone, in Hollywood at 4 am for 30 mins" to my list of things I never want to do again."  It's true.

All in all though, an excellent two days.  I am grateful for the opportunity and seeing the event become a success? I'm always a fan.  Makes the hard work pay off.




So now, I have a video for you. I give you: Mr. and Mrs. Adam and Karielle Rivadeneyra!  Mawwiage Films had the pleasure of capturing the special day of these two and now it's your turn to experience the marvelous occasion!



Adam & Karielle Rivadeneyra from Mawwiage Films on Vimeo.







And then one more video.  This guy has been around for a few weeks now and I've been meaning to post it on this blog for a few weeks now, as well.  Now's the time.



This little guy is simply a sport.  He's the boss.  He's an inspiration to us all.  If we all approach our obstacles based on this dude's encouraging words, the sky isn't even the limit.

Let's change the world.





Have a great day today.  You should read a random sentence out of random book.  And then write your favorite phrase out of that sentence.  On the refrigerator.  With refrigerator magnets.

No comments:

Post a Comment