Wednesday, September 15, 2010

'orking



Okay so here's something: I started working on campus this week.  It's a great job and I'm excited for the opportunity.  Here's the "something:" I have work everyday, meaning I have a few less hours of everyday to do the things I have been doing these last few weeks during those hours.  One of those things is this blog.  I don't know what will happen, if I will get it out early in the day, late in the day, if it will happen at all, if it will be entertaining, if there will be content.  I'm pretty sure I'll get it done and get it out before work, but hey, it's a few less hours so it has to be quick so it might not be as comprehensive so I'll try to make it just as appealing as it was before so you aren't disappointed by the outcome of each Wednesday so you don't have to worry.  We'll make it work.

This week has been pretty gnarly simply because we are captured within the school year.  We are in the norm.  We are used to our schedules (well, I'm not because of this new job).  We know precisely what will happen each day and what needs to happen to successfully finish the day.  So in that sense, nothing out of the ordinary happened this last week, which is gnarly.

I'm going to talk about something right now.  I have a "Never Met" list for my Facebook friends.  I don't know if you know about Facebook lists, or even have a Facebook account.  It's kind of irrelevant and here's why: If someone wants to be my "friend" on Facebook, I will allow them to be my "friend."  If I have never met this person I put them into my "Never Met" list.  People have given me slack for this, here's my response.  I have absolutely nothing to hide.  The fact that Facebook is on the internet, perhaps the most public place on Earth, means everything that I put on Facebook is, and should be, available for the entire world to see.  So if some person from Georgia wants to be my "friend," why shouldn't they be able to?  You might say: "but this person might be a creep!"  You are right, that is a possibility.  Thus far in my Facebook journey, I have yet to be "added" by a person who I feel uncomfortable wary about.  I have never had a problem with it.  Maybe you have.  If you have, I apologize.  Here's the thing though, Facebook has made it very easy to block users, so there's a solution.

I guess this is what I'm trying to say, everything I write on the internet in on the internet.  The internet was made to be accesable; in my opinion, if a conversation or a picture is too personal for the entire world to see, IT SHOULD NOT BE ON FACEBOOK in the first place. 

I don't know if I'm properly relaying my point.

I'm going to drop it.




In other news, I mentioned last week I was working on a video of a trip to Hollywood.  That video is now complete and is now embedded below for your enjoyment:



I had a lot of fun with this video.  I didn't realize until after but this was the first video I have worked on since Hume and it shows.  I'm pleased how it turned out and it turns the trip to Hollywood into tangible memory.


I guess I got into a video kick because last weekend (and the weekend before, but that's irrelevant) a group of us took a trip to Black Star Canyon.  Here is what the brilliant source of wikipedia has to say about Black Star Canyon:

"One of the most popular ghost tales...tells of a group of friends who witnessed the ghosts of the Spanish conquistadors marching down the hill in the form of small, black shadowy figures. Many of the more popular legends have sprung from the fact that Black Star Canyon was the meeting place of a Satanic cult in the 1980s, which is often misstated as having been the Ku Klux Klan due to the numerous hikers' reports of seeing distant bonfires in the canyon. There are currently satanic cults in the area. Other stories include the canyon being haunted by a demon called "Black Star", being home to extraterrestrials and/or a secret military installation, and being guarded by Indian spirits. The oldest ghost story involving the canyon came from the Spanish, and involved the canyon being haunted by a banshee called "La Llorona" (The Wailer), who was said to live in a well and have the head of a horse."

We went to investigate (best viewing experience: full screen, speakers turned up, enjoy):








Black Star Canyon will live on.  Everything, down to last word, is true in this video.  Black Star Canyon influence upon our group will never be quite known.



Lastly, video wise, I have a confession.  Have you seen "Marcel The Shell With Shoes On"?  I'm hesitant to embed it in this blog....



but I did anyway.  You don't have to watch it if you don't want.  Here's the thing, I don't like that video at all.  Now, what's probably going to happen is you're going to watch it and think it's the cutest thing in the world.  I honestly do not understand.  It's a shell with shoes on.  Yeah, it has a cute, funny voice and says witty, humorous things, but is it funny enough to see it posted and passed on through facebook tens of times a day?  In my opinion, absolutely not.  I watched this video when it was just getting big, I thought it was funny and clever, but not near as "magnificent" as the hundreds of thousands of people that have seen it since that time say it is.  You probably disagree with me, and that's fine.  I just don't understand why people like this video so much.  I watched it, I moved you; "you" watched it, passed it to ALL your friends, and watched as the wildfire spread.  I don't get it.  Maybe it just represents our society.  We get our cheap thrills by watching a shell talk about skiing with men's toenails or walking a piece of lint like a dog. 

Sorry if I'm blasting this video.  Although I don't like it very much, I have much respect for the makers because they have close to a million views on this video (on vimeo, which is rare) and I don't have any video past 5,000 views.  I am trumped.





This post has contained an abnormal amount of seeming argumentative complaining.  I apologize.  These two topics have just occured one too many times for me to let it slide.  I addressed it, you read it, and we both have our own opinions.  If you brutally disagree with me, that is totally fine; you are fully 100% entitled to your own opinion; however, I am too.  I'll talk with you about these issues.




With that, have a great day today.  Look at a blade of grass really really closely, with a magnifying glass if accessible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment