Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Grapevine


Today marks halfway through spring break; it is, after all, the middle day of the week, Wednesday. I am spending the day traveling back from visiting extended family in both Walnut Creek, CA and Bakersfield/Reedly area, CA for two reasons: to celebrate Christmas with my dad's side of the family because we had an emergency event conflict with our meeting in December and to celebrate my uncle's 50th birthday. Nutty. So now I'm on my way home, literally. I drive in my van, well my dad drives, and I'm sitting on my laptop (well sitting down, using my laptop), listening to some House music (Joker's Of The Scene). Technology is incredible. Whodathunk even 10 years ago that I, on April 7th, 2010, would be able to write a blog entry while cruising the Grapevine (a "scenic" mountain range the "scenic" 5 freeway in California). It's rather overwhelming.

In other news, break is nice; extremely fast, but nice. It's already Wednesday for cryin' out loud.



In other news, something big has happening in my music world and that is: my arguably favorite band, Underoath/UnderOATH/UØ, is experiencing a lineup change. Mr. Aaron Gillespie, an incredible drummer who plays rather unconventionally, creatively, and unlike any drummer I've ever heard, has decided to leave the band he has spent years and years jamming in.  Here is the statement Underoath released on April 5th, 2010:

We are taking this opportunity to sadly inform you the six of us have decided at the end of the current european tour, Aaron will no longer be playing in Underoath.  This was not a decision made in haste but a thought out and prayed upon group agreement.  It in no way effects any of the shows left on this tour.  They will still be our best efforts and enjoyable experiences for all.  For the future, Aaron will be pursuing other musical and ministry endeavors.  As for the rest of us we will continue to work hard on the new Underoath record.  We appreciate the love and support from everyone in the past and hope that all of us will continue to receive your support on our future paths. We love you guys. ....
.. ..
Tim, Grant, Aaron, James, Chris, and Spencer....

The split came as a big surprise to many people probably because Underoath is finishing up their tour in Europe and acknowledging that they are in the process of writing a new record. Not only was I so completely pumped for a new Underoath record, I was so completely pumped to see them live for the first time once they came back to the US (I had missed a PHATTY chance to see them last year).

I'm making it sound like Underoath is no longer existent=not true. They are still going at it, still going to tour, still going to put out a new record. Yes, it will not be the same without Aaron, but I trust the drummer they get will propel the band into sights unseen.  Every member of Underoath is so incredibly talented and unique that the departure of one member will not completely disarm them.  The new record will be absolutely incredible; different, but incredible.

One thing I want to say is that I am extremely grateful for the prayer and discernment about this decision. Obviously, I am not in the band, but through the statement and past issues Underoath has worked through, I know that this decision was a big ticket item and the outcome was the right path to take.  I am so pleased to see that Aaron posted on his blog, http://aaronrgillespie.tumblr.com, that there is no bad blood between the musicians and it is simply time for change. Underoath has put out some the best music I have ever heard and has redefined what music can sound like (Listen to "Lost in the Sound of Separation" and then listen to ANY other music and tell me what sounds beefier). I am so excited to see what Mr. Aaron Gillespie has tucked under his sleeve and also what the rest of the band has lurking behind the next corner. It will be rather interesting, but I am PUMPED.

via TWLOHA twitter





In other news, baseball season is under way. The San Francisco Giants are taking it this year, they are going to watch a 3-0 record turn into a 162-0 record, making them the first undefeated team in the history of baseball. I'm excited to watch them win the World Series this year.

Here's a video of something nutty that happened in a baseball game. Nutty is a good word for it.




In other news, I'm still in the car and my memory just hit the wall. I can't remember what I was going to write about, it could have been good, it could have been alright, it could have been straight up awful; fact is, I don't remember. So on that note, remember today because you won't have another Wednesday for another week. Have a great week fellow internet users.

1 comment:

  1. agree!! It's not the same without Aaron. It's pretty sad.

    ReplyDelete