Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Climb


It's Wednesday and it's madness. Registration for classes took place this week. Here's mine:


There are a lot of implications, assumptions, epiphanies embedded within this schedule. First, there's only 2 classes, 6 units. I'm only taking 2 classes next year because that is all I need to graduate. I have two college classes left of my college career, my educational career. This is it, the big kahuna. Also, if you notice, these are both Bible classes. No general education classes, no film classes, no art classes, just straight up Bible. I have heard nothing but GREAT things about these two classes and I am ecstatic to focus, for the first time in my life, on Bible classes. Typically, my art/film classes dominate my schooling, sending the Bible classes to the deep end to doggie-paddle. Not this semester. Bible classes are controlling this swimming pool. Lastly, due to the minimalist structure of this coming semester, there will be more time to take on the world. Personal projects, freelance projects, creative projects will have time to breathe, will have time to fester outside of the educational world. Next semester will serve, as least I predict it will, as a solid transition between the said educational world and the said "real world." As always though, this is all SUBJECT TO CHANGE. 


So last week was Thanksgiving. I'm ALL ABOUT Thanksgiving. Here's what I posted on Facebook (I've realized taking screenshots such as this one keys you into the emotion of the actual day, rather than a recollection of the emotion of the actual day, knawatimean?).

 
Thanksgiving is an amazing holiday. It was great being home, with the fam bam and gram. It was great being away from classes, away from campus. Even though there was oh so much work to be done, being away from classes was a rest in itself. It was a great time of revitalization, eating eating eating, and resting. Thanksgiving is an amazing holiday.


Last week, or should I say two, I mentioned the rock climbing trip, "one of the funnest most bestest trips of my college career." Folks, it really was. Here's why: rock climbing was described to me as both a solo sport and a team sport. Here's why: rock climbing is very much solo, you climb by yourself, you depend on yourself to get to the top. You yourself choose to keep going, to give up, to try a different route, to lunge, to jump, to try again. However, MUCH of rock climbing is the reliance on the belayer, the encouragement by other "teammates" and our teach Dave Bedell, the excitement of everyone when you or another teammate reaches the top. And because of this, everyone on this trip was in it together, everyone made it to the top every time. Seeing "teammates" overcome the obstacles of the rock and their own personal vendettas? INCREDIBLE. This paragraph failed before it even began in describing the authenticity of the trip, words aren't enough. Scratch that, there's one word that described it:

SPEECHLESS.


Here's are photos I snapped. Joshua Tree is beautifully beautiful.








Here's our group, taken by the guy two pictures up.


Can't even begin to describe it. People told me "the rock climbing trip is the best thing ever." I somewhat believed them, but I thought "I'm sure it will be great, but it can't be THAT great, best ever? Naw. There's no way." After I got back, I was the one saying "the rock climbing trip is the best thing ever." Sleeping in tents in 25 degree temperatures, cooking by flashlight, climbing rocks I never thought were climbable, enjoying the company of a FANTASTIC new group of friends. It's too much, too great. THE BEST THING EVER.



This post is complete. It's ended. This the end. Go explore somewhere, somewhere you've never ventured before. Learn something new, try it out, experiment. People don't do that enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment