Wednesday, May 22, 2013

this is it



This is the last Wednesday of the school year. This is the last "Collared Shirt Wednesday" of my schooling career. This may be the last "Collared Shirt Wednesday" of my entire life.

This outfit is particularly significant. Here's the deal:

The bowtie, the purple, blue, and gray one, was acquired this year, my senior year, a gift from my girlfriend, Ms. Morgan McGannon. This bowtie represents my senior year in college, represents a new living situation in The Bakery, represents a new relationship with Ms. Morgan McGannon, represents graduating college.

The shirt, the florescent orange one, was acquired four years ago, my freshman year, a $3 STEAL from the American Apparel Outlet at the Citadel Outlets (still the only time I've been there). This shirt represents my freshman year in college, represents a new journey that is higher education, represents a lot of fun and craziness and stupidity and immaturity, represents the beginning of my maturity as an adult.

The shorts, the white ones, were acquired three years ago, my sophomore year, a thrift store find to complete a "yacht club" costume.  These shorts represent my sophomore year in college, represent the settling in to the college routine, represent developing friendships, represent the establishment and passion of my film and art interests, represent the continual push to create excellent work.

The socks, the brown ones, were acquired two years ago, my junior year, a gift from my mother on Christmas. These socks represent my junior year in college, represent the moving from dormitory to apartment, represent a reality check of academic seriousness, represent the establishment of Mawwiage Films, represent the realization of life-after-college, represent the last hurrah with the gentlemen I lived with for three years.

The shoes, the white ones, were acquired eight years ago, my freshman year in high school, a requirement to participate in the drumline. These shoes represent my high school years, represent the formation of my ideologies, beliefs and interests, represent the shenanigans me and my broskis rocked, represent the introduction to film and graphic design, represent the development of who I am today.


The broken pallet represents the normality of education being busted wide open. A teacher once said, "You're about to be fired from your full time job of 18 years. You going to have to pick yourself up and find a new job." I am 100% used to doing school. I've done school for as long as can remember. I will be doing school no longer. Broke that thing.

The undid bowtie represents the things to come. A bowtie is meant to be tied, that is its designed function. We go through education to prepare us for things to come, to teach us the skills to succeed in the workforce.  Education teaches us how to tie the bowtie. It's time to get out there and learn.



Here's a video from freshman year for nostalgia's sake.



I will be writing an extended blog post at some point in the future. In the mean time, graduation is Friday. Un. Be. Liev. A. Ble. Can't even handle it.

It's go time.



Take a walk outside, it's nice out.

1 comment:

  1. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

    ReplyDelete